Dementia Web - Dementia Information Resource for Oxfordshire

DementiaWeb - Dementia Information Resource for Oxfordshire

Financial Advice

Financial Advice

Financial advice is available from a range of sources nationally and locally. Some organisations can provide free financial advice, whereas others, such as solicitors who offer financial advice, will usually charge.

The list below is not exhaustive, and there may be other people you would also turn to for financial advice, e.g. an accountant who already handles your financial affairs.

Age Concern

Age Concern Oxfordshire:

Age Concern Oxfordshire do not have financial advisors, but if you have a problem, a question or just want information the helpline can help you to find answers, point you in the right direction or just talk through your situation with you. Advice is available on benefits entitlements for those over retirement age. Help can also be given with form filling.

More information is available on the Age Concern Oxfordshire website

Contact details:

Age Concern Oxfordshire City & County
St. Edmund House
39 West St Helen Street
OX14 5BW

Tel.: 01235 849400
Fax: 01235 849449

Telephone Helpline: 01235 849400
10.00am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday
Answerphone at other times

It is also possible to meet advisors from TaxHelp for Older People (see below), at Age Concern Oxfordshire's Abingdon Office.

Age Concern England:

Freephone information line 0800 00 99 66 (every day 7am-7pm)
Information is available on the Age Concern England website

Useful fact sheets include:

Back to Top

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Citizens Advice Bureau advisers can offer information and advice on a broad range of issues. Citizens Advice Bureaux are located across Oxfordshire.

For more information, or details of your local CAB, visit the Adviceguide website.

West Oxfordshire Citizens Advice Bureau:

The Pension Project Officer from the West Oxfordshire Citizens Advice Bureau is able to offer free, confidential, and impartial advice. They can check to ensure that anyone aged over 60 is receiving all the money that they are entitled to, for example Pension Credits. They are also able to help with form filling.

Contact details:

Liz Oakley
Pension Project Officer
West Oxfordshire Citizens Advice Bureau
33a High Street
OX28 6HP

Tel.: 01993 708492

Nursing Home Fees Agency (NHFA)

The NHFA provides older people, carers, and the general public with advice and information on obtaining and paying for care. Combines financial advice with complexities of local authority charging procedures, health authority responsibilities, DWP benefit entitlement, and relevant legal matters.

More information is available on the NHFA website.

Contact details:

St Leonards House
Mill Street
OX29 4JX

NHFA Offices open:
9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday

Tel.: 01865 733000 (Helpline 0800 99 88 33)
Fax: 01865 733001

Email: [email protected]

Solicitors for Independent Financial Advice (SIFA)

SIFA can refer you to legal firms that offer financial advice to complement their legal advice.

Contact details:

Solicitors for Independent Financial Advice (SIFA)
10 East Street
KT17 1HH

Tel.: 01372 721172


TaxHelp for Older People (TOP)

TaxHelp for Older People (TOP) is an independent free tax advice service for older people on low incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional advice.

If you ring the TOP helpline advisors from TaxHelp may offer to meet you at Age Concern Oxfordshire's Abingdon Office (see Age Concern Oxfordshire details above).

Contact details:

TaxHelp for Older People
Pineapple Business Park
Salway Ash

Helpline: 0845 601 3321

Email: [email protected]

Back to Top

National Debtline

National Debtline is a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems. The service is free, confidential and independent.

Contact details:

Tel.: 0808 808 4000 (Freephone)

9.00am to 9.00pm, Monday to Friday
9.30am to 1.00pm, Saturday

24-hour voicemail: leave a message to request an information pack or factsheet.


Wantage Independent Advice Centre

Wantage, Grove and District Independent Advice Centre provides information and advice, to the whole community, on a range of issues including benefits, Disability Living Allowance / Attendance Allowance (form completing also provided), housing, consumer issues, etc..

Contact details:

The Independent Advice Centre
16 Market Place
OX12 8AE

Open 9.30am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday

Tel.: 01235 765348

Barton Advice Centre

Advice centre, for Barton/Headington/Risinghurst residents, offering basic advice and help completing forms and applications for benefits and charitable funds.

Contact details:

Barton Advice Centre
Barton Neighbourhood Centre
Underhill Circus

9.00am to 4.00pm, Monday, Tuesday and Friday:
Telephone only or appointments

10.00am to 1.00pm, Wednesday and Thursday:

Tel.: 01865 744152
Fax: 01865 744121

Back to Top : funded and managed by Guideposts with support from the Big Lottery Fund